In 1896, a private library was established in a small building donated by James R. Hay opposite the Nutley Railroad Station on Highfield Lane. In 1904, it moved to 381 Passaic Avenue where it remained for ten years. When an Andrew Carnegie grant provided funds for a new public library, the 3,000 books were moved from to the Library’s present site at Booth Drive. Now, the Nutley Public Library maintains a collection of approximately 90,000 books: 65,000 adult, young adult and reference volumes and approximately 25,000 children’s books. Additionally, the Library provides books-on-tape, large print books, compact music discs and a circulating video collection. The Library is a member of the Bergen County Cooperative Library System (BCCLS). It is fully computerized and the holdings of all the BCCLS libraries are available, as well as various on-line computer services. The system is accessible 24/7, 365 days a year on the internet. The Library is also a member of the “Reciprocal Borrowing Libraries” of Essex County and the New Jersey Library Network.