Established in the late 17th century by Dutch and English settlers on the west bank of the Passaic River, Nutley has retained its small town atmosphere through the centuries. Competently governed by a board of commissioners and home to one of the nation’s premier pharmaceutical companies, Hoffmann-La Roche, it is a stable and progressive community, whose residents voluntarily staff the emergency and rescue squad and most of the fire department.
Through the years, the town has had its share of notable residents, including Annie Oakley, Martha Stewart, well-known artists, a countess, a Swiss baron, a baroness and members of Jackie Kennedy’s family. It is basically a residential community and boasts a park in every neighborhood. The New York skyline is visible from any hill in town and Manhattan is just a short bus ride away. An excellent school system is maintained at a cost far lower than surrounding communities and major colleges and universities are within easy commuting distance.
Perhaps Nutley’s charm and appeal is most evident by the fact that families stay in town from generation to generation and grandchildren and great grandchildren walk the same streets their ancestors trod. Nutley is conveniently located just eleven miles straight out from NYC. The township is comfortably saddled between the Passaic River, Route 3, the GSP and the township of Belleville to the south.
IMPORTANT PHONE NUMBERS & ADDRESSES
- Town Hall: 1 Kennedy Drive, Nutley, NJ 07110 – Phone: 973-284-4951 / Fax: 973-284-4901 –
- Emergency and Rescue Squad: 119 Chestnut Street, Nutley, NJ 07110 – Phone: 973-667-7487*
- Police and Fire Departments: 228 Chestnut Street, Nutley, NJ 07110 – Phone: 973-284-4940*
- Board of Education: 375 Bloomfield Avenue, Nutley, NJ 07110 – Phone: 973-661-3500
- Nutley Free Public Library: 93 Booth Drive, Nutley, NJ 07110 – Phone: 973-667-0405
*In the event of an emergency, dial 911.